Saturday, May 28, 2016

Bonding over good food and entertainment

The Star, Friday, 27 May 2016
TROPICANA Corporation Bhd celebrated the success of Tropicana Heights, its thriving 80.53ha development in Kajang, last weekend with a fun event attended by more than 2,000 people.
Themed “Eat, Play & Bond”, it was held at the new 0.81ha property gallery at Tropicana Heights on Saturday and Sunday and featured a synthetic ice skating rink, a food fest in a market-style environment, 18-hole mini golf games, plaster painting and electronic bike tours around Tropicana’s Central Park.
“We want our guests to experience the splendour of living in this all-inclusive development,” said Tropicana Marketing and Sales senior general manager Ung Lay Ting.
“We have just launched the capacious Recreational Hub and the stunning West Lake, which is in the western section of the 6.47ha Central Park.
“This event allows us to engage with our customers, while at the same time promote the five wonders of Tropicana Heights,” she added.
Ung explained that the five outstanding features of the development were its quality homes, market square, green park, recreational attraction and its suitability for sporty outdoor activities.
Close to Kajang town, Tropicana Heights, which was launched in 2014, is set amid lush greenery. Some 6.47ha of its 80.53ha has been dedicated to the creation of a park that features a 750m linear lake. Pedestrian pathways, jogging tracks, and bicycle tracks make every corner of the park accessible.
Fairfield Residences, the first phase of development here, was launched in February 2014 and has recorded a 100% take-up rate. Spanning 10.12ha, it comprises 198 units of two-storey terrace homes and 91 units of three-storey homes.
Tropicana says construction is on track for handover this year.
Parkfield Residences, the second phase, was launched in March 2015, offering 327 units of two-storey terrace homes and 144 units of three-storey homes.
It occupies the highest terrain of the township and features its very own 1.94ha private community park.
Parkfield Residences, which recorded a 90% take-up rate, is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2018.
“This project has recorded good take-up so far and we are excited to unveil the highly anticipated Ridgefield Residences, the Phase 3 of development at Tropicana Heights soon.
“Interested purchasers who would like to be invited to a future Tropicana Heights special preview are encouraged to register at www.tropicanaheights.com,” Ung said.

Four linked to 50 robberies killed

The Star, Friday, 27 May 2016

BY AUSTIN CAMOENS

KAJANG: Police shot dead four robbers who attempted to attack the with parang after they were cornered in a jungle near Sungai Sekamat here. Another suspect, believed to have been wounded, managed to escape.

The four were members of a gang believed to be responsible for over 50 robberies and police, acting on a report of an attempted break-in, managed to track them down early yesterday.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Abdul Samah Mat said they were alerted by an engineer who had called the police after finding someone trying to break in through a window at the Taman Saujana Impian premises at around 3.15am.
He said a special task force from the Selangor Serious Crimes Unit (D9) was sent to the scene and managed to catch up with the suspects trekking through the jungle along Sungai Sekamat at around 6.15am, a few kilometres from the scene of the attempted break in.
“The policemen identified themselves and the suspects came at them with parang.
“Our men opened fire in self defence,” he said, adding that four of the suspects died at the scene while another escaped into the jungle.
He said the suspects were believed to be in their 20s and 30s and several weapons, including parang, were recovered from the scene.
“We believe the suspect at large will attempt to get medical aid.
“If anyone working in a clinic or hospital comes across a man with a suspected gunshot wound, call the police immediately,” he said.
Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Othman Nanyan said the suspects were believed to have been active in robberies here since 2015.
“They would target houses with easy access, tie up all the occupants and leave with all the cash, jewellery and electronic items.
“Based on this modus operandi, we believe the suspects are responsible for 37 robberies last year, 19 robberies this year and five attempted break-ins,” he said.
ACP Othman said the suspects were believed to be active in areas around Kajang including Bandar Sungai Long, Bandar Mahkota Cheras, Taman Saujana Impian, Taman Puncak Saujana, Taman Sekamat Jaya, Taman Hulu Langat and Country Heights.
He added that one of the dead was believed to be a foreigner as he had identification documents from a neighbouring country.
ACP Othman said the hunt for the suspect at large was in progress and involved 107 personnel from various units including the K-9 Unit and General Operations Force.
“We have set up a 2km perimeter around the scene of the shooting,” he said, urging those with information to contact the police hotline, 03-2052 9999, or visit the nearest police station.

Kajang School Wins International Award











     
KAJANG -- The first-ever entry submitted by Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Tamil (SJKT) Kajang to the Interact Video Awards (IVA) 2015 has won international recognition with its win of the Fan Favourite Award for its video clip.
The school beat 87 other entries in the category involving 25 countries.
"The concept of '1 Interactor 1 Plant' was a project by the SJKT Kajang Interact Club members, aimed at providing the students with environmental conservation awareness.
"The project was recorded in a video clip for the IVA 2015 and the school won 42,106 votes, beating the entry from Brazil (39,000 votes) and India (37,000 votes)," the school's headmaster John Posko Anthony told reporters after the Interact Award presentation ceremony held at the school Tuesday.
The award comprised a plaque and certificate of appreciation which were presented by the Governor of Rotary International District 3300 Malaysia, Siti Subaidah Adil, at the ceremony.
Siti Subaidah said the success was the result of collaboration between Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Kajang Rotary Club, Interact Club of SJKT Kajang and the school teachers.
SJKT Kajang was the first national-type primary school in the country to set up an Interact Club.
"It is important for schools to be involved in international projects as it gives them exposure to global challenges," said Siti Subaidah.
IVA is an annual programme organised by the International Rotary Club, aimed at developing the leadership qualities and personality of students throughout the world.
At the same ceremony today, 50 poor students of the school were given MyKasih Cards for 10 schooling months, courtesy of Yayasan MyKasih, Kajang Rotary Club and the SJKT Kajang Parent-Teacher Association.
The card has a value of RM60 a month and can be used to buy food at the school canteen, and stationery from the school bookshop.
-- BERNAMA

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Inmate escapes from Kajang hospital

BY NST - 20 MAY 2016

KAJANG: A prison inmate here escaped from custody while being treated at the Kajang Hospital last night. 

The man, aged 44, was serving a sentence for a drug-related offence and was taken to hospital for treatment for an undisclosed illness. 

He had begun his sentence on Tuesday and was due to be released in December. 

District police chief Assistant Commissioner Othman Nanyan said Kajang Hospital authorities had informed police of the escape about 9.15pm. 

“Police immediately responded by activating all possible elements to search for the escapee. He was, at the time, wearing prison clothing — red pants and white T-shirt — and had his left arm, which was broken, in a cast,” he said. 

Police also activated “Ops Tutup” with several roadblocks conducted to track the inmate. 


Police are now looking for Chow Kim Liong, whose last known address was 8-3-9 Block 8, Jalan 1/1B, Taman Intan Baiduri in Kuala Lumpur. 579 reads Roadblocks were conducted as police searched for the escapee. 







More treated water for Selangor

The Star, Friday, 20 May 2016

BY QISHIN TARIQ

The Jalan Bukit bridge in Kajang will be elevated to ease water flow along Sungai Jelok while reinforcement work will be done to repair the sidewalks that had recently collapsed because of erosion. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The StarThe Jalan Bukit bridge in Kajang will be elevated to ease water flow along Sungai Jelok while reinforcement work will be done to repair the sidewalks that had recently collapsed because of erosion. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star
SELANGOR’S water supply is set to be secured as two new treatment plants are due to be completed by 2018.
State Infrastructure and Public Facilities Committee chairman Zaidy Abdul Talib said once completed, the two plants – Semenyih 2 and Labohan Dagang – would respectively produce 100 million and 400 million litres of water a day, enough for 50,000 users.
“There needs to be an increase in the production of filtered water in the next two years to meet demand,” Zaidy said at a press conference in a restaurant in Kajang after making a site visit to check on flood mitigation measures needed in Kajang town.
The study showed that the seven million residents of Selangor use about 4,800 million litres of water a day, which is expected to increase by 3.5% a year.
Zaidy said the RM200mil project for the Semenyih 2 plant had just been awarded to Tenaga Tiub Sdn Bhd.
Tenaga Tiub would begin work on the plant in Jenderam Hilir, Dengkil by the end of the month.
It is expected to be completed by December, 2017.
The second plant, in Labohan Dagang, Banting is still in the tender process and the project is expected to be completed by June, 2018.
Zaidy said the state government had set aside RM400mil for four packages, covering deepening and reinforcing the existing pond, installing pipes as well as building the reservoir and treatment plant.
He also announced a Public Works Department (JKR) project to mitigate the recent flooding at the Balai Kajang and Pasar Kajang area.
He said the Jalan Bukit bridge in Kajang would be elevated to ease water flow along Sungai Jelok while reinforcement work would be done to repair the sidewalks that had recently collapsed because of erosion.
Traffic would be redirected to Jalan Mewah as the bridge would be closed while work is ongoing.
“We have to take urgent steps to address the flooding issue here,” he said.
On May 7, 8 and 11, massive floods hit Kajang following record amounts of rain, at 120mm, 88m and 111mm respectively.
Zaidy said even though Metro Kajang Holding Bhd was responsible for widening the river further, federal funds would be used to cover the project’s cost which is estimated to be around RM1mil for initial works.
“We hope to complete the project in six months,” he said.

Search ongoing for escaped convict

The Sun Daily, 20 May 2016 

SHAH ALAM: Police have expanded the search area for a 44-year-old prisoner who escaped while receiving treatment at the Kajang Hospital yesterday.
Selangor police chief Commissioner Datuk Abdul Samah Mat (pix) said the manhunt for the convict who was serving his jail term for a drug related offence is ongoing with help from various district search teams within Selangor.
"We are considering every possibility here. The prisoner might have escaped from Kajang to another district," Abdul Samah told reporters after attending the pinning of rank ceremony for police volunteer cops at the Selangor police headquarters here today.
"The prisoner might get an extension of his jail term for what he has done now," he said.
Abdul Samah also added that the prison department was in charge when the incident happened.
It was reported that the man who was wearing a red prison pants and a white t-shirt with his left hand in a plaster cast fled the hospital on a RapidKL bus at about 8.10pm yesterday.
On a separate case, police have also confirmed that the two random murders of victims in their cars are connected.
However, Abdul Samah said that he is unable to comment further on the motive as investigations are ongoing.
"Yes both cases are connected but I can't comment on the motive behind the murders.
"'My investigators are in the closing stage of their investigations," Abdul Samah told reporters.
Saravanan Gopal, 29, who was an administrative assistant with a local business newspaper was found murdered in a boot of a BMW in a mining pool in Puchong on May 8 while on May 5, a man was found torched in his car in Kajang.
Meanwhile, police have also arrested 10 individuals believe to be involved with the gang robberies in Jalang Gasing recently.
Abdul Samah said three out of the suspects arrested are directly linked with the parang-wielding robbery and rape of a 26-year old woman at her house here on May 6.
"All of them were arrested in separate raids conducted by police in Damansara, Bukit Jelutong, and Perak.
"The suspects are aged between 24 and 41 and the manhunt for the remaining suspects will continue," he said.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

MPKj president calls on developers to consider safety

The Star,Wednesday, 11 May 2016

BY QISHIN TARIQ

SMALL housing developers have to step up in implementing safer environmental design and consider its benefits to the city’s safety standards, says Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) president Mohd Sayuthi Bakar.
Speaking at a seminar on Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED), he said such design was essential to make Kajang safer and more comfortable for residents.
The guidelines drafted in April 2011 and put into practice in 2012 called for improved town design such as having more sidewalks and streetlights, CCTVs in strata properties, and building gated and guarded communities.
Mohd Sayuthi told reporters that small developers had been reluctant to adopt CPTED due to additional costs incurred.
However, he urged developers not to just consider the cost factor, but its latent benefits like improving quality of life and housing value plus lowering crime rates.
Asked if the council was mulling providing incentives for compliant developers, he replied this was not “a subsidy nation” and that it would affect the commercial value of the developer’s own projects.
“The projects that adopted a ‘safe city’ approach sell easily,” Mohd Sayuthi said.
He listed EcoWorld Majestic, Setia Eco Hill and Tropicana Heights – all developments in Semenyih – as examples of developers that went above and beyond MPKj’s CPTED standards.
He added that developments would only be approved if they fulfilled CPTED’s minimum requirements, though pro-active developers were free to improve standards.
The Town and Country Planning Department head Dr Noor Yazan Zainol said developers, especially larger companies, had been positive of the design principles and satisfied with the benefits reaped.
He revealed the crime index in Kajang has gone down by 6.2% (2015 compared to 2014), with the sharpest reductions in the number of motorcycle thefts and cases of break-ins and tresspassing.
He said while new developments were required to meet CPTED requirements, the onus fell on the Government to retroactively improve older developments, adding that they had two pilot projects in Sungai Chua and in Balakong near Cheras South.
Noor Yazan, Shah Alam City Council officer Annie Syazrin Ismail and Prevent Crime Now crime safety specialist Shamir Rajadurai presented their talk to some 290 participants on the principles of CPTED and case studies from Kajang and Shah Alam.

The workshop aimed to spread awareness about CPTED to the public as well as receive feedback from stakeholders.