Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rev George Harrison reaches out to the faithful

The Star ran a news article on our own Rev Father George Harrison of the Holy Family Church Kajang.

Until the next time, cheers.

The Star, Tuesday December 27, 2011

Rev George Harrison reaches out to the faithful

KAJANG: His name has elicited all sorts of responses, including a teacher who thought he was trying to be cheeky.

 
Catholic priest Rev George Har­rison (pic), who was named after a famous member of The Beatles, said he was once reprimanded during his PMR examinations by an examiner, who was suspicious of his name.

“The examiner even asked me to show him my identity card. When he realised that it was my real name, he was taken aback and started laughing,” said the 38-year-old, who is a parish priest at the Holy Family Church here.

True to his namesake, George, who was named by his uncle, also has a musical side and said he loved to sing for charity.

“When I sing at events, I tell the audience that their donations will go to the less fortunate,” he said, adding that he sang and preached in four languages – English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil.

“I learnt Mandarin when I was in Taiwan for two years. Learning many languages is one way I can reach out to more people. The Beatles too reached out to people with their music and I admire that,” said George, whose favourite song by The Beatles is Let It Be.

For his Christmas wish, George said he hoped Malaysians would be more giving and help those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment