Sunday, September 8, 2013

MIC Youth leader: 'I am no gangster'

The Star, Sunday September 8, 2013














PETALING JAYA: Hulu Langat MIC Youth leader M. Kalai Arasu has denied claims that he is a gang leader.
“I am not a gangster. I will do whatever it takes to clear my name,” he said.

Kalai Arasu was linked to the name of Gang 36 leader “Kajang Kalai”, which was one of over 30 gang leader’s names made public by the police on Friday.

“I don’t understand why people have linked me to that name. I have never called myself “Kajang Kalai”. That is a nickname people use. I always introduce myself as Kalai Arasu.

“I have been involved in politics since 2000. I have no criminal record, I have never been charged in court nor arrested. How can I suddenly be accused as a gang leader?” said the 42-year-old politician.

He said that he needed to keep a clean reputation as the people would not cooperate with him in community programs if he was involved with gangs.

Kalai Arasu also questioned the accuracy of the list released by the police, saying that the names had been circulated on anonymous letters for a long time.

He also said that he would be lodging a police report over the matter in Kajang tomorrow after consulting his lawyer.

In a related development, MIC Youth chief T. Mohan has lodged a police report against MyWatch adviser S. Gobi Krishnan and two English news portals for linking him to the outlawed Gang 36.

Gobi had, in his Twitter page, alleged that Mohan’s car, a Mercedes CLS, had a registration plate with “3060” on it, which he claimed was a known identity code of the gang.

Gobi also tagged Mohan in his tweets and urged the authorities to take action against him.

“I have been using the number plate since 1996. This does not mean that I’m part of any gang,” said Mohan.

He added that the allegation was a blatant lie and politically-motivated.

“We will be suing those who spread such false news,” he said.

Gobi has claimed that a Gang 36 leader named by police on Friday was also an MIC member and holds posts in the party.

“It is indeed shocking that gangsters are holding high-ranking positions in the party,” he said.

“Nevertheless, I laud the action taken by the Home Minister against gangsters,” he said, adding swift action was needed to arrest and charge the gangsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment