Saturday, April 20, 2013

GE13: Move to field new face in Kajang criticised



Lee speaking at a press conference on his disappointment with
PKR’s decision to drop him for the Kajang state seat. Lee speaking at a press conference on his disappointment with PKR’s decision to drop him for the Kajang state seat.
 
Kajang incumbent Lee Kim Sin (PKR) fears that the party’s decision to field a new face in Kajang will negatively affect not only the seat or the Hulu Langat parliamentary seat, but also Pakatan Rakyat in the GE13.

The newcomer is Petaling Jaya Utara PKR chief Lee Chin Cheh.

“We are worried not only about the winnable seats but for Selangor state and Pakatan Rakyat on the whole.

“We will not allow factional politics and those who are power-crazy to gain more power,” he said at a press conference yesterday.

Lee will announce on Nomination Day today whether he will contest as an independent candidate.

“I am still considering the views of the locals,” he said, adding that Kajang residents were unhappy over the way the candidate was chosen, especially someone who was unknown in the area.

He criticised the party’s candidate selection process.

“It is unfair to me as an incumbent, I was not consulted and neither was caretaker Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim. This is disrespectful to Kajang voters too.

“It was alleged that I was pro-Khalid but I am not. I do not support any faction.

“I will support whoever is capable,” he said.

Kim Sin, better known as Cikgu Lee, said Kajang residents had always shown their support for him.
“We have 60 letters of support and a petition with 3,100 signatures asking for me to be made the candidate.

“After my surprise omission, some of my supporters have taken down PKR flags that they sponsored.
“I have advised them against it but it is their right as they sponsored it,” he said.”

On whether he will support the new candidate, he said: “I need time to accept the decision but I will not sabotage him.

“As for my supporters in the party, I will leave it to them to decide. It is their right to choose whom they want to support,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment