Monday, October 24, 2011

St Johns Ulu Langat Charity Dinner

The St John Ambulance Malaysia Kawasan Selangor Selatan held it's annual charity dinner at Xi Lai Ton Restaurant on Friday, 21 October 2011.

This is my first time attending this dinner as somehow I have not been able to make it in the past. This year I was invited my an old friend as he had graciously made some donation. As there was a heavy downpour, I went earlier just in case there was a traffic jam. Fortunately, I arrived early and no problem with the parking.

The Area Commander is an old friend of mine. I was also a member of the St John Ambulance during my secondary school days. I must say that Kong Min Ho, the Area Commander has done so much for the body in Kajang. He has devoted so much time and resources for the good of the body. I was very happy when he received recognition recently by being awarded with a medal from the Queen of England.

Here he is before the dinner. I had to take a picture of him....

Very well dressed for the night.
The dinner was very well organised (they have been doing this for years). They had a good crowd of more than 70 tables. The guest of honour for the night was YB Cikgu Lee, the Assemblyman for Kajang. The Presidents of St Johns for Malaysia and Selangor were also present for the dinner as well as many other senior officers.

Final touches before the dinner.
Arrival of the VIPs.
The VIPs taking their seat.
The dinner started at 8pm and it was followed by the various speeches. It was quite interesting to hear about the services that St Johns are now providing and that the body is doing very well in terms of membership and actitivites.

Min Ho giving his speech.
YB Cikgu Lee giving his speech.
I must say that the food for the night was good by normal Chinese wedding dinner standards. I haven't been to Xi Lai Ton Restaurant recently and so the cooking was a pleasant surprise. I was also impressed with the quality of dishes with the amount of money paid. The owner must have a soft spot for the St Johns Ambulance. However, as usual, towards the end of the dinner, the pace is faster to get all the food out as quickly as possible.

Sections of the diners.
Well attended.
The entertainment for the night was from a harmonica group and a band from Yu Hua Chinese school. Well done to the kids who performed very well.

The harmonica group.
Young band.
Next superstars?
There was also lucky draws as well as the auction of 2 items which saw generous donors bidding for the items.


There were also a number of individual and corporate sponsors who supported the charity dinner with additional sponsorship. I hope many more will support their noble cause next year.

Until the next time, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment