Used engine oil, containers of sodium sulphate and a few types of other chemicals are among the items found at the illegal factory
Enforcement officers from three agencies have started a joint operations to check on some 120 factories operating along Sungai Semenyih.
This follows the closure and sealing off the illegal factory that was identified as the culprit behind the water disruptions in the Klang Valley.
It was jointly conducted by the Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj), Hulu Langat Land Office and Department of Environment (DOE).
According to MPKj, during today's (Oct 6) operations, MPKj confiscated goods and sealed off the premises of another factory found to be operating illegally.
The team inspected eight premises, four of which had their licences revoked for flouting trade licensing, waste disposal and town planning bylaws.
MPKj added that the land the factory was located on was designated as agriculture, so non-related activities without proper application were considered illegal.
“The operator had been operating without a licence and was found guilty of flouting the Trade Licensing, Business and Industry (MPKj) 2007 Bylaw,” said Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) public relations head Kamarul Izlan Sulaiman.
“We issued a notice for the operator to stop all their activities and for them to submit a report on their effluent disposal method within three days.
“Failure to do so would result in a fine of not more than RM500 or jail of not more than six months, or both.”
It was reported that the illegal factory located along Jalan Sungai Lalang, which had been masking as a building materials operations, was in fact recycling engine oil and repackaging them to be sold.
During a visit by The Star yesterday (Oct 6), workers from Kualiti Alam Sdn Bhd were seen cleaning up the site while officers from Selangor Waters Management Authority (LUAS) were coordinating the clean-up and enforcement works there.
“We started cleaning and disposal works on Tuesday. Because of the large amount of waste stacked around the site and in the soil, we will need about a week to clear everything,’ said Kualiti Alam Scheduled Waste Action Team consultant Datuk A. Mariasoosay.
“Items found included used engine oil, containers of sodium sulphate and a few types of other chemicals.”
As of yesterday (Oct 6) afternoon, the company’s 20-tonne trucks made 16 trips to dispose the hazardous waste at its waste management centre.
Meanwhile, Air Selangor Group said that the scheduled recovery plan of water supply to consumers is progressing well, following the closure of the Sungai Semenyih Water Treatment Plant due to raw water odour pollution.
“The plan put into effect since Wednesday (Oct 5) is an effective measure to ensure that consumers do not experience water supply interruption for extended periods,” said said Air Selangor Group corporate communications head Amin Lin Abdullah.
“It is only a temporary measure until water supply is fully restored in affected areas,”
“The plan is also being monitored by the National Water Services Commission to ensure the inconvenience to consumers in affected areas is resolved as soon as possible.”
The schedule is being reviewed and updated until water supply is restored in Hulu Langat, Kuala Langat, Sepang and Petaling Districts.
The plan, which takes place until Oct 11, will have affected areas divided into two zones.
Water will be supplied to zones that are scheduled to receive water supply at 4pm, then disconnected two days later at 9am.
For updates on the water supply restoration status and distribution schedule, visit www.syabas.com.my or download the “mySyabas” app.