Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A letter to The Star - Lack of sports facilities

The Star, Wednesday January 23, 2013

I HAVE lived in Kajang for many years. The town has recently developed massively. Previously, Kajang was only known for its roundabouts.

While still being developed, I feel that the town is badly planned for the following reasons.

As a sports enthusiast, I am perturbed by the lack of sporting facilities. I use to play tennis at a golf club in Kajang. However, the club was recently acquired by another party, which I believe will be utilised for commercial development.

Sports enthusiasts are now left with no sporting facilities. There were public tennis courts next to the stadium, but it was also acquired, again for development.

As a resident, I would like to know from the local authority, Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj), why there are no areas assigned for a sports complex or proper public sporting facilities.

I wonder whether the youths these days would be exposed to any form of sports, looking at the recent state of sporting facilities.

Also with the rapid development, the poor drainage in town causes massive floods.

Businesses are affected when it floods. What is MPKj doing to improve the flood situation?

The bus station, located in the middle of a main street, causes massive traffic jams.

The buses stop all over the place at their own whims and fancy.

Why should a bus station be located in an area that affects the traffic? Besides the buses, taxis are also haphazardly parked waiting for customers.

Kajang has grown rapidly, however the number of parking bays has not increased in the same tandem. Again, I wonder where one is expected to park.

I believe we have enough buildings at this stage.

I have no complaints for development of a township, but I believe it has to be well planned.

Sporting facilities is a must in every township and not merely selling every piece of existing land for development.

In many countries, you find public sporting facilities in suburbs or townships. I believe this translates into sporting success.

Bus stands and taxi stops have to be built in a location where it does not affect traffic, which I believe is very basic in any town planning. I hope the authorities in Kajang live up to the status of a Majlis Perbandaran, as opposed to a Majlis Daerah many years ago.

SIVARUBAN KANDASAMY
Kajang

No comments:

Post a Comment